With the gimbal design complete, I wanted to knock out a quick structure to raise the assembly off the tabletop that fits around the coffee mug and pour-over cone. Because the dispenser extends beneath the bottom of the primary chassis, this allows for easier testing, and if all goes well, a framework to utilize for the final build.
As a Fusion 360 Evangelist, I find myself working on a wide range of unique projects, so my colleagues are accustom to less-than-typical things going on at my desk. That being said, measuring a pour over coffee cone with digital calipers furrowed a few brows.
Calipers in hand, I started modeling the coffee mug and pour-over cone. These are somewhat tricky shapes, but with some Revolves, Shells, and Fillets, they can be knocked out in no time.
Here are some animations showing the modeling process:
Next, I positioned them directly beneath the dispenser, and raised the gimbal assembly to an appropriate looking height. Once in place, I extended the perimeter of the gimbal assembly to fit around the coffee mug and pour-over cone and added some features for more threaded inserts.
Next, I designed a base that vertically aligns with the gimbal assembly and has holes for threaded inserts on three sides. With these in place, I modeled some simple 1/8″ laser-cut panels to hold the entire structure together with some M3 machine screws. Rectangular panels would work just fine here, but I figured to have a bit more fun with them considering I was using a laser.
I 3D printed the gimbal assembly and base components out of PLA, and they turned out great. I frustratingly couldn’t fit all the components on the build plate of my Replicator 2, but you can’t win ’em all. Next, I went over to the Autodesk Pier 9 workshop and laser-cut the panels out of 1/8″ birch plywood.
I assembled the dispenser and gimbal assembly, and pressed in all the M3 Brass Threaded Inserts with a soldering iron.
All that’s required for the assembly of the structure are twelve M3 x 8 socket cap screws and washers, and a hex key.
The inserts make a rather awful screeching sound as they’re being expanded into the plastic. Don’t worry, it’s their way of letting you know they’re gripping the plastic.
I really like this design, as it allows for simple modifications during the prototyping process. If I need to change the primary structure, it’ll be really easy for me to laser-cut new panels and mount them to the existing 3D printed components.